Just one of COUNTLESS examples of where countless people are being sickened and killed for the greed and profit of corporations and billionaires DESPITE the fact that the solution would actually cost less than the loss of productivity and lobbying/bribery of government officials.
This is why I left the DNC and will never vote Republican, Libertarian or Democrat again.
First the problem:
Natural gas leaks killing and destroying in the US:
From 1994 through 2013, the U.S. had 745 serious incidents with gas distribution, causing 278 fatalities and 1059 injuries, with $110,658,083 in property damage.
From 1994 through 2013, there were an additional 110 serious incidents with gas transmission, resulting in 41 fatalities, 195 injuries, and $448,900,333 in property damage.
From 1994 through 2013, there were an additional 941 serious incidents with gas all system type, resulting in 363 fatalities, 1392 injuries, and $823,970,000 in property damage.
A recent Wall Street Journal review found that there were 1,400 pipeline spills and accidents in the U.S. 2010-2013. According to the Journal review, four in every five pipeline accidents are discovered by local residents, not the companies that own the pipelines.
WHO FINDS THE LEAKS?
NOT the oil or gas company but VICTIMS who were sickened by the leak in the first place!!!!
WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?
Why? Because single wall pipe and absolutely no standards.
According to the Journal review, four in every five pipeline accidents are discovered by local residents (who are made sick or have family members die), not the companies that own the pipelines.
Pipe is CHEAP. Double wall pipe could have sensors in between the two walls.
Sensors are CHEAP, wire is CHEAP.
Those sensors could have automatic shutoff valves every few miles.
Guess how many leaks and spills that we would have then?
People are dying for profits and lack of regulation.
I have been fighting this for decades.
I am an engineer with a cheap solution; but the bean counters run these companies for profit, not for safety.
And THAT is why we need regulations to FORCE minimum standards.
That is why we need Greens, NOT Democrats, Libertarians or Republicans.
The solution is cheap and simple:
I wrote this minimum standard for the Keystone XL pipeline almost a decade ago.
I published it widely, gave it away, sent it to my elected congress and senate (Rep Sanchez, Sens Boxer and Feinstein, as well as President Obama).
These politicians are being bribed and lobbied by the very billionaires and corporations who are doing the damage, why would they care what some citizen/environmentalist/engineer thinks?
Bean counters run the oil companies, and bribe the crooked elected officials to deregulate, not to enforce minimum standards.
I actually create solutions.
I have solved problems that were once thought to be impossible, and created or worked on a team that created several patented new inventions.
Here is what I propose for pipeline standards:
The MINIMUM standard for an oil or gas pipeline
I will only agree to a pipeline WHEN ALL of the following is met:
1. There will be a pipe INSIDE of a pipe with sensors in-between to detect leakage.
2. There will be automatic shutoffs in event of a leak and there will be such a shutoff every few miles or at regular intervals. If a valve fails: the previous valve must have sensors to detect and controls to automatically shut off.
3. The oil company MUST warehouse enough parts to replace a few sections including sensors and valves. These parts must be maintained and regularly inspected by government regulators at oil company expense.
(because we cannot predict every situation to befall this pipeline, but if we have parts: we can resolve it. and look at the desired path: right through TORNADO ALLEY).
4. There must be a reinforced embankment on either side of the pipeline to prevent/minimize damage from tornadoes/ floods and to conceal this eyesore from the eyes and view of neighbors. The outer view of the embankment must contain vegetation and trees placed close enough to make it appear to blend naturally (of course with access areas concealed by an open extension on one side so that entry is a zig-zag with ample room for even the heaviest of equipment). Trees must be selected based upon tornado resistance in tornado prone areas. Equipment must be able to get to and between either side of the embankment to reach any section or segment of pipe.
Additionally: one of the largest causes of pipeline leaks are bullet holes resulting from pipes running through wilderness and hunting grounds where bullets can inadvertently (or deliberately) penetrate the current single wall standard pipe. This embankment must completely hide the pipe from any shooting position in surrounding areas and create a visual blind.
5. The pipeline company and oil companies and their employees must be permanently banned from lobbying the government or regulators.
6. For oil pipes: there must be an oil and water moisture barrier trough under or buried under the ENTIRE length of the pipeline that extends to the embankments that will deposit in collection pools along the way in event of a spill. Collection pools must test all water and ensure purity before purging and water must be kept purged at a rate consistent with flow. This can use additional pools for water treatment if required. Each pool must have a redundant barrier with sensors to detect leakage. Any leakage in trough results in shutdown of the entire pipeline until leaks are corrected. If pool leaks are detected, alternative pools must be selected immediately or the pipeline must be shutdown until a secure pool without leaks is identified.
7. The combination of embankment and moisture barrier trough must present a third line of defense against spills and leaks.
8. All of the above must be maintained and tested at regular intervals and inspected at oil company expense.
9. The pipeline, embankments and pools must be braced for earthquakes, floods, tornadoes and lightning.
10. There must be a redundant security fence and warning system with CCTV and rapid response monitoring. All CCTV must have behavioral recognition systems in place and every camera must be in the field of view of at least one other camera. Every entry must have security monitored access controls or security presence. In event of any perimeter fence, CCTV or access controls failure/or intrusion detection: rapid response teams must be deployed, law enforcement AND military must be notified and scrambled. There will be a tax levvy assessment made on the oil to offset the costs of this and additional environmental impact studies. Pipeline company will comply with all environmental report findings and decisions or forfeit interest in the pipeline.
When the oil company agrees to these terms: THEN and ONLY THEN will I support their pipeline.
Funny thing? It really would not add a lot of cost and would save them a bundle WHEN the leaks happen (not if). All of this technology exists today including the behavioral recognition systems.
Please feel free to use or share this idea?
Please credit Veronica Spang to the extent that my design was followed when shared or implemented. Just a simple acknowledgement is minimal requirement. It would be a pleasure to participate in bringing this design to a required minimum standard, and to actually create working models. Lets make a better future for our species?
Let’s stop the greed of corrupt politicians by voting Green and eliminating ALL bribery and lobbying of government?
Lets have sensible environmentally-friendly use of all chemicals and look for non-toxic solar and wind energy and restrict petroleum use to things that cannot be done with other solutions while we seek out those solutions?
Why are we letting the worst polluters have unfettered control of government?
These corporations are killing us, our friends, our neighbors, our families for their own profit and greed.
The reality is that the value of the oil or gas far exceeds that of the pipe or the sensors.
In the long run: doing it right COSTS LESS. Much less.
Let’s get Greens elected and start working on making more money with less damage and harm?
The future and profits will be in clean and renewable solutions, any rational/sane person is going to choose the non-toxic solutions versus the one that causes them harm.
We can either embrace this or continue to be left behind as others do.